My friend Bruce is in the same boat, only, he's a much better amateur photographer than I am, though still with a ways to go before we really take shots of something really, really great. He and I even got together one day this winter to shoot a few food shots and practice our skills. It was inspiring and fun, and really stoked my creative juices, of which there are few. Look...I took this one:
So I came up with this idea. What would it be like to start the Frederick Food Photography Club? No dues or anything crazy like that, but more so a group of people who want to take better food pics for blogs or whatever, meeting a couple of times a year, or even bi-monthly to share food, tips, and camaraderie.
Here's what I propose:
- Bi-monthly meeting at The Kitchen Studio Cooking School on Sunday afternoons for an hour or two
- Everyone brings a prepared dish or raw ingredients to shoot
- Everyone brings a camera (doesn't matter what kind)
- If you have fill cards, or lights, or backgrounds, or props, feel free to bring 'em
- All of the bowls, equipment, dishes etc at TKS are available for use
- We all clean up the joint together
- Cost is $0. Free. Zero. Zippo. Zilch.
So, what do you think? Interested? Comment to let me know if you think this could work for you, and we'll take it from there.